Thursday, March 15, 2012

I went to Paris (on Cape Cod)!

Baguettes made fresh early this morning... by a French baker (from France!)... right here on Cape Cod!

One of my most favorite spots on all of the Cape is the PB Boulangerie in Wellfleet. I've been there on numerous occasions, but this is the first time I've revisited since they reopened for the season (after their very brief winter holiday).

PB Boulangerie is part bakery, part authentic French bistro. The owner is from France and prior to opening PB, he worked at the Wynn in Las Vegas (among other places here and abroad). His resume is AMAZING, as are his pastries and breads. I've yet to eat at the bistro, but let me tell you, this place is PACKED once the season starts going. The locals will queue up here at the door in a line which extends to the parking lot when it's busy (which is 99% of the time). The breads here are nothing short of phenomenal. What's even more... the owner frequently comes out from the kitchen to greet the customers with his cheerful smile and words of gratitude.
(Notice the crushed clamshells under the cafe tables and chairs -- a very popular sight here on the Cape.)

And speak of knowing where your produce comes from... PB even has their very own herb garden right outside the bistro! Remember... it's still winter here on the Cape, and nothing save a few crocus have opened so far. Give it a couple of months and this herb garden will be blossoming.

Out front we were greeted to a nice warm fire in their fire pit (it was overcast and quite nippy this morning, as this bistro is not far from the water). Gotta love the Vespa, too. ;)

And this was my treat... a tart de citron! Yes... the meringue really had that greenish cast (lime?... or perhaps a little pun since it's so close to St. Patrick's Day?). This tart had the most scrumptious REAL lemon filling, unlike any lemon tart or pie I've ever tasted.
If you're ever in Wellfleet (or anywhere near it), you should visit: PB Boulangerie!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm so yummy!!!!! Do you know I love lemon cakes??
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always such a pleasure to shop locally, especially when the produce is this gorgeous...Lucky you having such a fabulous boulangerie so close...fresh breads are the best!

    We have a local farm shop which I like to use whenever I am passing...their cakes are very naughty...but nice!

    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little trip to France, thank you.
    Fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh cape cod...one of my favorite places on earth. we get there a lot all summer long even though we own a beach cottage in narragansett ri. I'm so glad I found your beautiful blog & that boulangerie is a must go to for me this summer! thanks for the beautiful photos...:) chris

    ReplyDelete